Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hidden Gems

Here’s another submission to AJF’s season of Blame It On the Bling, our search for good diamonds, in which AJF member Valeria Vallarta Siemelink proves once again that it’s what’s on the inside that really counts.
Philippa Green, Engagement ring

My engagement ring. Eight rough diamonds (one green, one brown, one green . . .), representing the eight months of written exchange that I had with my (now) husband before we met face to face, are embedded in clear resin. The diamonds are, naturally, fair trade. The ring was designed by South African jeweler Philippa Green.

The ring is one of my dearest friends. I wouldn’t blush to wear it at an AJF event or anywhere else. I wouldn’t worry either about wearing it on the Mexico City metro system. For potential thieves, it only looks like a plastic ring with little ‘ugly’ rocks inside.